Friday, April 15, 2016

Reverence

I have always had a soft spot for chivalry and courtly etiquette. When I was out of college, I discovered Renaissance re-enactment through the Society of Creative Anachronism (SCA). Through the SCA, I polished my skills as a rapier and dagger fighter and courtly dancer. I belonged to the Barony of Shattered Crystal and once a year the Barony would hold an event call Crystal Ball. This event consisted of fencing tournaments during the day, a banquet and then dancing all night. The Baron and Baroness were the nobles of this event. We were taught that when you saw a crown you should curtsey or bow in reverence to their higher station.

SCA led me to get involved with the St. Louis Renaissance Faire when it first opened in the late 1990's. I attended classes on how one was to behave when you saw the royal court. Curtsey or bow and eyes at the royals waist so that you could see the signal to rise. Eyes were not to look at the foot, because that would mean that you were a person of loose morals and ashamed of your indiscretions. Eyes that met the royal's were assumed that you were defying them and their station. I also had to learn how to be a lady of the court since I was an understudy for the eldest prince's tutor/governess. When I played a royal the only people I had to bow down to were the King and Queen. The “King and Queen of France.”

So when I decided to enter into the Catholic Church and I was going through RCIA, you would think that when it came to bowing before the tabernacle it would be easy for me. It wasn't. Early on when I was touring with Theater of the Word and we would be setting up in the Church before the Blessed Sacrament had been removed, I would find it hard to remember to bow. I would remember to bow when we entered the Church the first time, but then I would be caught up in the work and forget. “Maria, He is still in there.” one of the other Catholic actors would remind me. I would turn red, retrace my footsteps, bow to the Blessed Sacrament and then hurry back to my work. I think I was furious at being called out. As I was fuming to myself and setting up the lights on the light tree I felt a gentle reproach “Why is it hard for you to bow to me when you used to bow to false Kings all the time?” That stung. How could I bow to false Kings multiple times and it not be a problem; and then when I am in the true presence of a Real King I pay him not in reverence or insolence but down right rebellious refusal! I am worse than Peter, who denied Jesus out of self-preservation and fear. I do not want to give Him a fraction of time it would take to acknowledge Him because that would take me from my work. The work that He blessed me with. The work that I keep saying that I am doing to glorify Him! That moment really hit me.

We bow our heads down in toil and work all day. We cave into things we don't really need but somehow we think our life will be better if I just have this one thing. “If only I had...(fill in the blank)...then I would be happy.” How many times have we said this very thing? How many times do we stop for a minute and give reverence to Him in a prayer of thanksgiving? How many times do we come forward on Sunday to receive the Eucharist (His body, blood, soul and divinity) and we are distracted with petty things occupying our brain? He is the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, our Redeemer and our Savior. The least thing a person could do is to pay Jesus, Our King with love, respect and reverence.

Lord, help me to remember all that you have done for me so that I may, poor servant that I am, pay you in praise, thanksgiving, and reverence with all of myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment